Today we pulled up to a red light, and I took a right. Immediately Koralyn said, "Mommy, did you make sure there wasn't a 'no turn on red' sign?"
As we drove on, Koralyn said, "Mommy, you can't pass because the line is a salad." I said, "a salad?" and she said, "yeah, that's what you always say, the line is a salad." I said "no...I say the line is SOLID...not a salad."
She is terrified, and I mean TERRIFIED, of the smoke alarms going off. I believe it is because of the fire safety training they have had at school. I love that she wants to be prepared, but now it is a nightly question "Mommy, the smoke alarms aren't going to go off, right?" I'm almost afraid to answer "correct" because no matter how unlikely that is, I cannot guarantee they won't have cause to go off, but if I tell Koralyn that, there will be no sleep for anyone!
After I have her convinced they will not go off, her next question is "well what if they do go off and I forget what to do?"
Now I have explained over and over again what she is to do in case the detectors go off (for those who are curious or want to judge my parenting abilities, I have told her to 1) close her door 2) unlatch and open her window 3) yell for help.
Finally, when I have her convinced she will remember what to do, she then wants to know what happens if I don't come into her room to get her...which in itself is a terrifying thought. It does give me peace of mind, however, to know that I have taught her well (at least I feel I have) and pray that if we are ever in that situation I will be able to get to her.
OK, so I really can't end a blog on that note...here is what Koralyn turned in as a project - her teacher wrote the words she came up with...
K - kitty
O - octopus
R - sorry, can't remember what she put for R...
A - apple
L - lila (a girl in her class)
Y - yo-yo
N - nocturnal
Yes, she put NOCTURNAL as the first word that came to her mind that started with an "N"...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.